Our Acre~ A place where we live simply on purpose. Join us as we share ways to step back from the chaos and find joy in educating, living within our means, cooking, gardening, sewing, recycling, reusing, and anything else we come up with. Welcome! We are so glad you are here.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Tires For The Play Area

Several years back, when there was no possible way we could afford it, I started thinking I wanted one of those huge backyard play forts.  Thank goodness the cost was WAY out of our reach, because it gave me the challenge to create a play space for my Jr.s that would not break the bank.  It also gave me time to come to my senses and realize that I really didn't want one of those in my backyard. It's just not my personality to have something that "put together" in my back yard.

Instead, I like to take a pile of used tires...

and turn them into something new!
This was one of the simplest things that I have added to our play space!  We literally took the tires and buried them half way into the ground.  We took all the dirt from the holes that we dug and backfilled them as tightly as we could.  My son came up with the idea of the shape; which leads straight into the sandbox.  It didn't take Little Lulu long to figure out why.

Did I mention this project was free?
I love projects like this; and not just because they are budget friendly.
Play things like this encourage imagination. There is not one thing that Jr.s are "supposed" to do with these tires.  It is completely up the their imagination how they will play. Lulu is already asking for some wood, because she wants to make a bridge for the tires.  That, right there, is the essence of why I do things a little differently ~ because it all builds on itself.

If your budget is tight this season, can I encourage you to get creative?  If your budget isn't so tight, can I encourage you to get creative?  Think outside the box this year and see what happens.  

I would love to hear about the ideas you use in your yard!
I'll be sharing pictures on Facebook this week of simple play spaces we have created over the years. I hope to see you there,

7 comments:

  1. Such a great idea!! Lulu looks like she is having a great time with her new play space. You never cease to amaze me with your creative mind!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She does love it. I've got to get her a board sanded down real soon or I'm afraid she'll get one herself and I'll be plucking splinters out of her behind :)

      Delete
  2. Cool!!! We have friends who own a junk yard, may take a trip there this weekend. Our township also has bulk waste day on Saturday, maybe when I make the trip there, I'll see if there are any there. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you can find some. You'll have to send me a pic of what you create; I would love to see. :)

      Delete
    2. Just found out this week that my husband my lose his current position and we may have to move, soooo all fun projects have been put on hold. :( We have been expecting this to happen for over 2 years, so it isn't a big shock!

      Delete
  3. Love it! I also love Lulu's dress and the sandbox!

    ReplyDelete

I love your questions and comments. I will try to respond as often as I can. If you would like to know when I respond to your comment, be sure to check the box to receive follow up comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...