Our Acre~ A place where we live simply on purpose. Join us as we share ways to step back from the chaos and find joy in educating, living within our means, cooking, gardening, sewing, recycling, reusing, and anything else we come up with. Welcome! We are so glad you are here.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Reconditioning A Marker Board

Our marker board has seen better days.  After 11 years of homeschooling, the writing would no longer wipe off.  I spent last year cleaning it repeatedly with different cleaners, trying to make it last a little longer.  Finally, at the end of last year, nothing would get the marks completely off.  

 I saw an advertisement for a second hand shop that had large marker boards for $13.  That's a great deal, except for one problem; we are ridiculously sentimental around here and the Jr.s were having no part in me getting rid of THE marker board.  What's a Mom to do?  Google, of coarse!

I found some ideas for reconditioning our marker board and thought I would give it a go.  The original directions can be found here.  I improvised a bit, and it worked, without having to spend a dime.
1. First, I wiped down the entire marker board with a dry cloth.  
2. Then, because I didn't have any marker board cleaner, I used plain old rubbing alcohol on a dry rag to get all the ink off the marker board.  I would like to claim genius about why I used alcohol, but I think it's got more to do with the nurse in me (we do, after all, use alcohol rubs for most anything). ;)
3.Once all the ink is off, spray the entire board down with WD-40 or a generic equivalent and spread it all over the board.  Do not buff the WD-40 off, just let it sit there for a little while and it soaks in.  
4. Wipe off any excess & voila! The marker board is as good as new.

 * If the ink doesn't wipe off after you have done this process, respray with WD-40 and let it sit a little longer.  I had to reapply the WD-40 because I really buffed it off the first time.  

It looks like I have found a way to make our marker board last a little longer, but I've still got another 12 years of homeschooling to go.  I wonder if it will last?

3 comments:

  1. Great tip! Ours can use a bit of refreshing as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've used it all morning and it's like brand new. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! Thanks, April...our board is a mess. I will definitely do this :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your questions and comments. I will try to respond as often as I can. If you would like to know when I respond to your comment, be sure to check the box to receive follow up comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...