Our Acre~ A place where we live simply on purpose. Join us as we share ways to step back from the chaos and find joy in educating, living within our means, cooking, gardening, sewing, recycling, reusing, and anything else we come up with. Welcome! We are so glad you are here.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Using Up Leftover Juice Pulp

 I love juicing fresh fruits and vegetables for my family. 
 After a recent conversation with a dear one, I thought perhaps others might be wondering what to do with all the juice pulp that is left over.  The secret to keeping our family budget in check is to waste as little as possible, so I try to get every last bit out of the food we buy.  I thought I would show you what I did with our pulp today.

Our morning smoothie had 12 carrots and 2 sweet potatoes in it, which left me with about 8 cups of pulp. Depending on what I have juiced and how busy I am, dictates what I do with the pulp. 

 Some things that can be done:
*Feed the pulp directly to chickens (if you have them) or other pets.
*Mix some/all of the pulp into baked goods.
*Mix some/all pulp into pancake mix.
*Dehydrate it and use it as a base for granola (fruit is best)
*Boil it and make a vegetable broth.
*Saute it (veggies) and add it to quinoa or rice for a side dish.
*Freeze it to use for later.
 Today I used 3 cups of my pulp to make a double batch of my favorite carrot muffins (recipe below).  It's funny how the minute the oven dings, I have a kitchen full of helpers waiting to be taste testers!  As you can see, my double batch shrunk before I could even snap the picture.
 I took the rest of my pulp and put it in a pot, covered the pulp in with water, then added salt, pepper, and herbs. I have no measurements, because I honestly just dump in whatever sounds good at the moment.  I then bring it to a boil, turn down the heat, cover and simmer for about an hour.  You can see I'm not real precise...that's just how my life seems to be right now (giggle).
Once the broth cooled, I strained it into a jar to save for when I make rice a little later today.  The pulp that I strained out went to our fearless chickens, who so kindly bless us with eggs each day.

As promised, here's my recipe for carrot muffins. 
 I make these two different ways, so the second version changes are in parenthesis.

Carrot Spice Muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour (oat flour)
1/2 cup almond meal (oat flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. allspice
1/3 cup honey
1 egg
1/2 cup kefir
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup carrots
(1/2 cup chopped nuts)

Combine dry ingredients and spices in large bowl.  Mix honey, egg, milk, oil, vanilla, carrots, and chopped nuts (if using) in medium bowl.  Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. I do not add the chopped nuts if I am making the version with almond meal, but you could if you want to.  Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes (12 minutes for mini-muffins).  Makes about 12 full size muffins or 24 mini-muffins.  

I know that sometimes it can feel like it's too expensive to feed our families healthy, whole foods.  It's been my experience that the key to being able to afford the organic, whole foods that I want to feed my family, is not wasting and using up every little bit. I like to look into my refrigerator and ask: if this was the last food available to feed my family, what would I do with it?  It's amazing how many things we can make from the food we are blessed with.  

I hope this helps.  Questions?  Ask away and I'll do my best to help.  If you do something different with your leftover pulp, feel free to share in the comments. I'd love to hear some new ideas!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the recipe... Looks yummy... What is kiefer? Can you do the same with pulp from greens too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kefir is a fermented milk drink, sort of like thin yogurt. There are nondairy kefirs available, also. Kefir is probiotic and also high in B-vitamins and protein. I don't always use kefir, it's just what I have on hand lately. You could use buttermilk, yogurt, sour cream thinned a little...

      I'm not sure I would put pulp from greens in this particular recipe, but I would use them for broth, mixing into rice or quinoa or making savory pancakes.

      Hope this helps, enjoy!!

      Delete

I love your questions and comments. I will try to respond as often as I can. If you would like to know when I respond to your comment, be sure to check the box to receive follow up comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...